In the spirit of the upcoming red, white and blue holiday (aka Independence Day/4th of July), I had to share this sweet strawberry dessert—both super simple and a crowd pleaser. Strawberries have been on sale at our local market lately so we’ve been buying them in bulk. However, there’s only so much time before they start to go bad so this recipe is a delicious way to endure no leftovers rotting away! Bonus: the recipe is simple and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients AND can work as either a breakfast or dessert. Without further ado…
- 3 cups strawberries, diced
- ½ cup sugar (can add 3/4 of a cup or 1 cup if you like extra sweet. I like eating this for breakfast so 1/2 cup tastes great to me.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, add strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir to coat strawberries in sugar and set aside to “marinate”.
- In a separate bowl, add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix together.
- Add wet ingredients: milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Stir with a fork until combined (no fancy mixer needed!). A few lumps are okay.
- Grease a 9×9 inch casserole dish (I use Pam).
- Pour cake batter evenly into dish.
- Spoon strawberry mixture evenly on top of batter (JUST sugared strawberries, try not to add the remaining liquid from the strawberries or else cake will be soggy. Do not stir!)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (or until golden brown). Enjoy warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or as is for a breakfast treat. The cake can be served immediately or the next day.
That’s it! Hope you guys enjoy this tasty treat! And serving it with cute plates doesn’t hurt either! I added a few cute baking and plating options below: